Thanks as always to Lauren, over at The Little Things We Do, for hosting!
1. My favorite grade in school was my sophomore year of high school. I had a blast with my great group of friends (we’re still bffs today!), liked most of my classes, got to do an awesome video project as homework (think: Saturday Night Live: history addition), and was involved in tons of activities – volleyball, youth group, quiz bowl, marching/concert/pep band, etc. Plus, I loved sophomore year because it was right before our school district consolidated with 2 other districts, so it was the last year I was in the original school system, with teachers/classmates/people I knew since kindergarten, and, we were still the awesome, almighty, Hawks!!!
2. My favorite teacher was Nune because, she’s just awesome! Nune was my band teacher from 5th grade-senior year, she taught me to play clarinet, got me involved in theatre, let us play the coolest songs & dress like hot-messes for pep band, and would sometime let my bestie, E, & I skip gym to hang out in her office for “lessons”. Nune’s a great teacher and conductor, hilarious, smart, and definitely helped make my high school experience a great one! Plus, most of my good friends were in band so we got to spend a ton of extra time together! (..and just after writing this I found out that Nune’s been nominated by The IHSA To Compete For The NFHS Outstanding Music Educator Award!!!! Congratulations!!!)
3. The highest level of education I have completed is a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Eastern Illinois University.
4. School lunches for me were usually homemade although sometimes I did buy school lunch on the “good” days ya’know with pizza, chicken and mashed potatoes, taco, etc. Lunchtime was always fun because you got to gossip with friends and play cards. Plus, my bestie E, and I always had a lunchtime ritual on days they served mini-corn dogs. See we both love mini-corn dogs and on days they served them the alternative to that option was…tuna salad sandwiches – which we wanted as well. But since the mean ‘ol lunch ladies wouldn’t let us have both, I always got tuna, E got corn dogs, and we split it 50/50. Haha That’ll always be one of my fave lunch time memories (well, in addition to the time in Elementary school when my mama sent me to lunch with fresh picked broccoli from the garden…and it had little worm/grubs on it…oh and that time I tried to toss an entire boiled egg in my mouth in 7th grade and ended up missing + tossing it over my shoulder at the table behind us!)
5. The amount of money you’d have to pay me to go back to high school would be $70,000. Enough to pay off current student loans and still have enough left over to put in savings + go on vacation. But I wouldn’t mind going back to high school, for the most part I loved it, plus now I’d look cuter since I can manage to do a half-way decent make-up job (oh, my poor HS self…).
6. A few things that will always remind me of going back to school are: new notebooks + pencils, my clarinet (I was supposed to practice over the summer but never did…ooops…), sweaty volleyball camps before school started, and picking out a cute-but-not-like-I’m-trying outfit for the first day
7. The first day of school was always mostly fun because you got to see some friends you might not have seen over summer but then of course you’d get those few teachers who decided to give assignments and actually make you do work that first day!
Ah, all this reminiscing about school memories was nice! My mind keeps churning out new ones – like going to State for Pep Band, Mr.Nelson’s waking stick, being in the darkroom with E + destroying our film rolls in the sink, petitioning to stop consolidation, ruining a Chemistry/Physics experiment and getting scolded by Mr. Henze, helping backstage + being Indians on a train during Annie Get Your Gun, watching Mr.C be football team captain and be awarded King at the Winter Dance, driving all the way to Stockton for Driver’s Ed to run an errand for the teacher, standing in the front row, smack dab on the 50 yard line for my first performance in marching band, being in the school on a Saturday with the Fab 4 filming our history project…
haha obviously I could go on forever!! Not to mention these are just from high school! ;)
Anyway, have a fabulous weekend everyone!